This Apple Cranberry Crumble Pie is full of sweet cinnamon decadence, topped with a buttery crisp crumb. The sweet apples and tart cranberries come together in perfect union to create the ultimate holiday pie. All your guests will adore this dessert and they will never ever guess it’s gluten free, paleo, and healthy!
Thanksgiving is right around the corner, but if your judging by the weather here is sunny souther California, you may be surprised its even fall! The summer weather still is going strong, and although we have had a cool down this week it’s still in the mid 70’s here.
No, no I’m no complaining, but it does make it a bit difficult to get into the holiday state of mind. I’m from the northeast and I grew up watching the autumn foliage turn from green to gold to crimson. The crisp fall air would cause me to bundle up in my boots, hat, and scarf before I set out for an autumn hike.
Fall was always the most beautiful time to hike in the Appalachian Mountains. The trail would be scattered with leaves of all colors and I would love to hear them crunch under my feet as I wandered.
My partner in crime, Cricket also loves her autumn hikes in the woods. She would always act extra spry due to the chilly weather, darting from tree to tree, sniffing out all the squirrels.:)
Here is California I still take her out for hikes and walks at the park. Although we have some leaves scattered about, but the sun refuses to quit, so the November hikes don’t give us the same invigorating feel that they used to!
Despite the warm weather, we still bake in this house. When it’s autumn, and the holidays are approaching, it is the perfect time for apple pie no matter the temperature outside.
I decided to make my apple pie extra festive this year by tossing is some beautiful crimson cranberries that add a splash of color, and a wonderful flavor reminiscent of fall.
The crumble topping is sweet, buttery, and crunchy, adding intriguing texture and mouthwatering flavor. All the ingredients are super healthy- no refined sugars, no grains, but you will never know it!
Did I mention it also looks stunning? It’s quite a looker;)
Apple Cranberry Crumble Pie
- 1 Perfect Paleo Pie Crust
- 5 apples (Granny Smith or other cooking apples, peeled and sliced in 1/4" segments)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grass-fed butter, melted (or coconut oil or ghee)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond flour (crumb topping)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot flour (crumb topping)(or tapioca flour)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (crumb topping)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (crumb topping)
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter (crumb topping)(or ghee or coconut oil)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare the pie crust, find recipe here: Perfect Paleo Pie Crust
In a large bowl mix the apples, lemon juice, sugar, almond flour, cinnamon, maple syrup, and melted butter.
- Place the filling mixture into the lightly baked pie crust.
- In a small bowl mix the crumb topping ingredients: almond flour, arrowroot flour, maple syrup, coconut sugar and softened butter. Mix until you get the consistency of wet sand.
Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the filling.
Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, then remove foil and bake for another 6-8 minutes, or until crumb topping is light brown and crisp.
- Remove and let cool for at least 15 minutes, then serve and enjoy!