This apple crisp is light and healthy, but packs a flavor punch and looks great too. The fresh apples are topped with a sweet and buttery crisp topping that makes your mouth smile! Gluten-free, paleo and vegan recipe options.
It’s officially the first day of fall! Although summer is my favorite season, autumn follows in a close second. Beautiful fall foliage in bright crimson, gold and burnt orange, crisp morning air, and dusting off your favorite boots are all great reasons to love fall. What are some of the reason you all love fall?
One fall activity that adore is apple picking! I love going to the orchard and roaming down the perfectly straight rows of trees, with the sun shining down, scattering light as it breaks through the leaves. I try as many apples as I put into my basket, and I always fill up on fresh apple cider donuts for dessert.
When I get my apple bounty home, I make my favorite fall dessert- apple crisp! I’m not a huge pie person because I’m just not in love with pie crust. I know, I know, some of you out there are probably pie crust fans, but it’s just not for me. That is why I make apple crisp- an apple pie without the crust!
Of course Cricket is a part of all the fall baking action. She doesn’t miss out on anything! As I was preparing the crisp she was under my feet drooling on the floor waiting for something tasty to come her way. When I tossed her an apple peel she turned up her nose and walked away sulkily. haha.
- 6 apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash Himalayan or sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If you are making apple crisp in the apples (like the pictures show) then peel and cut 2 of the 6 apples into 1" cubes. Then use a pairing knife to cut the tops off and then carefully remove the inside of the 4 remaining apples, while leaving the exterior skin (and about 1/2 flesh) in tact. Cut the removed center of the apple into 1" cubes. Toss all the apple cubes into a bowl.
- If you are making your apple crisp in a pan, then peel and cube all 6 apples.
- Add the lemon juice, coconut sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, and sea salt to the apple pieces and mix.
- Toss the apple mixture into a large pot and cook on the stovetop on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes and apples are fork tender.
- Spoon the apple mixture into the apple cups or place the apple mixture in a 8'x8" pan.
- In a small bowl combine the almond flour, dash salt, coconut sugar and mix.
- Next add the coconut oil, vanilla and maple sugar and mix until you reach the consistency of wet sand.
- Using your hand press the topping mixture onto the top of each apple-mixture-filled apple cup or sprinkle it on top of your apple mixture in the pan. (if you have left overs of apples and topping use individual ramekins to make individual-sized apple crisps with the extras)
- Place the apple cups into a cookie sheet and place the cookie sheet (or the 8x8" pan) into the oven at 350 degrees F for 15-18 minutes.
- Serve warm with dairy-free ice cream and caramel sauce (recipe HERE)