The yummiest KIND* bar is hands down the Apple Pie flavor, although they are all excellent. We discovered these gems at a coffee shop in Austin, and for some reason it was the only place that sold this amazing flavor. Having moved recently, I went out to search for the delectable bars. I made my way to Whole Foods and scoped out the enormously large selection of healthy bars, hoping to spot the rare flavor, mouth watering with anticipation, but was extremely disappointed to see there was no Apple Pie flavor! I instead decided to settle on the blueberry one, and left feeling let defeated and utterly disappointed.
I returned home and decided I had to find a way to reproduce these gooey apple pie bars so we could grab them whenever the impulse sprung. I knew the challenge would be creating a sweet sticky coating that would hold the bar together with simple healthy ingredients. Then it came to me- honey coconut caramel! I whipped it up, and it’s pretty close to the real deal and of course good for you too!
(*KIND is a registered trademark of Kind LLC, New York, NY)
Apple Pie KIND Bars
- Mix the nuts, chia, dried fruit, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- In a saucepan mix the honey, coconut milk, and vanilla. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently.
- The mixture will begin to froth, keep stirring, and remove from heat once it reaches the “ hard ball stage” between 250-266 degrees.
- If you do not have a candy thermometer, you can drop a small spoonful of the mixture into a bowl of cold water, and then see if you can form a fairly firm ball with the mixture with your fingers. It should hold together once formed.
- Once it’s reached this stage, remove from the stove and pour over nut mixture.
- Working quickly stir and evenly coat the mixture then pour into a greased pan.
- Using a greased spatula or your hands to firmly pack down the mixture into the pan.
- Place into the refrigerator to cool for 5-10 min then remove and cut into bars.
- The bars can now be stored in the fridge or freezer.