This salad is fresh and healthy- made with quinoa and topped with charred asparagus, blistered popped corn and a tangy lemon parsley dressing.
Technically it is still summer- the last day is September 22nd, and it sure feels like summer here still with hot temps and high humidity. So let’s celebrate summer while we still can- with wonderful summer flavors. These flavors come together is this fresh and light salad- bright asparagus, juicy corn, and tangy lemon and parsley.
I love a light salad on a hot summer day. It doesn’t leave you feeling too full and weighed down. This salad is super healthy, and has protein thanks to the amazing quinoa. I love quinoa, and often use it as a substitute for rice and other grains. Medical News Today says “quinoa is naturally gluten-free and contains iron, B-vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, vitamin E and fiber. It is one of only a few plant foods that are considered a complete protein and comprised of all pernine essential amino acids.” -which is why it is an excellent choice! I even use it to make Cricket’s Favorite Dog Chow sometimes, subbing it for the rice or using both rice and quinoa. She likes it too!
To get the extra WOW flavor factor, this recipe calls for broiling the corn and asparagus. The corn will pop in the oven once it’s close to being done, so keep an ear and eye on it! The blistered corn tastes so sweet, crunchy, and smoky- it would make a great snack all on its own. The fresh figs bring a wonderful sweet balance to the flavorful salad, but if you can’t find fresh ones, just sub in some dried ones- also excellent! Enjoy! Make sure to savor these summer days before they are gone- I know I am!!!
Charred Asparagus, Popped Corn & Quinoa Salad with Lemon Parsley Dressing
- 1 cup dry quinoa makes about 2.5 cups cooked, paleo: sub for cauliflower "rice"
- 2 ears of organic corn Paleo: sub for roasted sweet potato cubes, cut off kernels
- 1 12 oz package of thin asparagus if you get regular asparagus adjust cooking time, trim ends and cut into 1" lengths
- ¼ cup of red onion chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- dash of salt and pepper
- optional: ¼ cup of dried figs chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to broil and adjust rack to the top shelf.
- Mix the asparagus with 1 tablespoon olive oil and dash of salt and pepper.
- Spread on a cookie sheet and broil for a few minutes (keep a close eye) until edges are beginning to brown and crisp(if using thick asparagus you may need to cook longer at a lower temperature before broiling to crisp)
- Repeat the same with the corn (corn will make a "popping" noise and that means it’s done!)
- Boil 2 cups of water and add quinoa, cook according to directions.
- In a small blender mix the dressing ingredients and add salt and pepper according to taste
- In a large bowl mix cooked quinoa, charred corn and asparagus, red onion, and figs.
- Add and mix in dressing (you may not need it all), and add extra chopped parsley on top for garnish.