These little green peppers make the perfect light, low cal, and healthy snack or appetizer and take 10 minutes to make. They are a fun to eat finger food, and eating them is like a game of Russian Roulette! About 1 in 10 are spicy, all the others being very mild, and you never know when you are going to get that spicy surprise!
If you like spice, don’t fret, because I also made a flavorful creamy sriracha sauce for dipping to get your heat fix! I love spicy foods, and I have an obsession with sriracha. My fav sriracha at the moment is the Trader Joe’s brand, as its is super flavorful but not overwhelmingly spicy. I put it on everything- eggs, sandwiches, burgers, burritos, tacos, this food, and on and on.
I also love to snack! I just can’t stick to the three square meals a day program, so I am always looking for healthy, yet fulfilling snack options- and these peppers fit the bill!
Did you know that these little guys also have anti inflammatory qualities? They also have a great amount of vitamin K, vitamin B6, and vitamin C, so eat ‘em up!
Charred Shishito Peppers with Creamy Sriracha Sauce
- 1 package of shishito peppers about 24 peppers
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of sesame oil optional
- a few lemon wedges
- generous amount of coarse salt to taste
Creamy Sriracha Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons of sriracha depending on how spicy you like it
- In bowl mix the peppers with the olive oil and sesame oil and coat well.
- Arrange the peppers on a pan or seasoned cast iron skillet and place on the top shelf in the oven.
- One charred on top, remove the pan or skillet, flip peppers over and place back in for another minute or two, until charred on second side.
- Remove from oven , sprinkle with coarse salt and serve with lemon wedges and Creamy Sriracha Sauce.
- To make the Creamy Sriracha Sauce:
- Combine the yogurt, sriracha, and rice vinegar in a bowl and mix well, add a dash salt and pepper if you’d like.