Looking for a cool and chocolatey treat to cool down your sweet tooth this summer? Well, look no further! These frozen banana pops are smothered in peanut butter and chocolate ‘magic’ sauce. They are easy and fun to make (get the kids involved!), and best yet they are secretly healthy!
Cricket and I have been logging a lot of miles lately. She loves to run every morning and by 7 am she is waiting by the door next to her leash. In fact, Cricket knows her daily schedule better than I do, and if I am late she is sure to let me know about it… lol. Breakfast is at 6:30 sharp (even on Sundays) and everyday she not-so-patiently stands by her metal bowl and paws at it to make loud dinging noises so the whole house can hear. After breakfast we get dressed, lace up the sneakers, pop the baby in the stroller and off we go! She usually pulls me most of the way, unless she gets hint of a good smell, and then she’ll stop and use her beagle nose to check it out :).
Now that Cricket is 11 years young, she still isn’t showing any signs of her age, with the exception of some grey hairs. She still is fast and spry, can out run me on her worst day, and would still have energy at the end of the day to do it all again! I hope I feel and look as good as she does when I am her age! She definitely has good genes, which helps, but I also know that a healthy diet and exercise also help to keep her youthful and in great shape. Often I feed her better than I feed myself. Her only junk food is the occasional In-and-Out burger patty, which she adores! I, on the other hand, have a weakness for treats, especially ice cream and chocolate!
With all the running we have been doing my need for sweets has hit an all time high so I needed to find a healthy, but still really indulgent, alternative.
Enter- Chocolate and PB smothered Banana Pops! They have the perfect combinations of rich dark chocolate and creamy peanut butter (you could also use almond butter), and the frozen banana pop is creamy and sweet, reminiscent of ice cream. They look good, right!?
Enjoy and indulge with no guilt!! 🙂
- 3 bananas
- 1/3 cup chocolcate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand)
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (or almond butter for paleo)
- 2-4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 popsicle sticks or straws
- optional: 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Cut your bananas in half and insert your popsicle stick into the cut end.
- Place the banana pops on a parchment-lines cookie sheet and place them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- After the pops are chilled, heat the 1/3 cup of peanut butter and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over low-medium heat until melted and combined. If the peanut butter dip is too thick add an additional tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Take the pops out of the freezer and deep each one into the peanut butter dip.
- Place them back onto the parchment-lined cookie sheet and pop them back into the freezer for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the 1/3 cup chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over low-medium heat until melted and smooth. Add an additional tablespoon of coconut oil if needed to make the chocolate dip thinner.
- Remove the peanut butter covered pops from the freezer and dip each one into the chocolate and place back onto the cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut if you'd like.
- Freeze for another 10 minutes, or until set, or until you want to eat them!