Cricket is a picky pooch with a refined palate! She turns her nose up at many kinds treats that any other dog would wolf down in one second flat!
Beggin Stips? Cricket gives it a weary sniff and says “no thanks.”
Pupperoni? “I’m not hungry!”
Milk Bone? “No way Jose!”
Greenies????? “What the heck is that and WHY is it green!?”
After much trial and failure, I finally did come across a treat Cricket does love and they cost $9.99 for a bag of 6! It’s basically just dried chicken, or chicken jerky. So I decided to get smart and protect my wallet and make my own of course! These treats are so easy and simple to make and if Cricket loves them then your furry family members will love them too!
Cricket's Chicken Jerky Treats
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt is a good choice
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Cut the chicken breasts into long thin strips about 1/4" wide. (You can partially freeze the chicken for a hour to make it easier to slice.)
- Place the chicken in a ziplock bag with the oil, apple cider vinegar and salt, and give it a shake.
- Allow to marinate overnight or for a few hours at least.
- Lay the chicken strips (not touching!) on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until dry (if browning too much turn tempature down) and then turn the oven off and allow them to cool and fully dry out in the oven for an additional 1/2 hour.