This Extra Crispy Salt and Pepper Salmon is so very delectable and mouth watering. The crisp exterior gives way to tender and succulent buttery salmon that melts in your mouth! With only 3 ingredients and only one pan to clean, it’s an easy and healthy meal the entire family will love.
I have been trying to perfect my salmon-making expertise for some time now. Years in fact, I am embarrassed to admit! Cooking comes somewhat naturally to me, but I have my flops and hang ups with certain dishes and techniques.
Anything recipe that calls for a meringue (whipping egg whites until they are fluffy) is avoided like the plague around here! Not only do I have a huge problems when it comes to separating out the whites from the yolks, but my “stiff peaks” never seem to appear :(. Bread is another baking disaster in my house, especially because my grain-free bread baking has yielded dense blocks of wood-like loafs that even Cricket will not touch! lol. And finally, salmon. I LOVE salmon, when it’s prepared well, but up until THIS recipe I just couldn’t cook an excellent piece of salmon.
I tried grilling.
I tried roasting.
I tried foil packets.
I tried it all, but I always got over-cooked bland, eh-type salmon. It was usually edible, but nothing to write home about for sure! Where is the mouth-watering salmon of my dreams….?
I just couldn’t figure out where I was going wrong! Then I stumbled upon a food network program that covered how to pan-frying salmon and I was so excited to test it out!
I ran out to the store and picked up a lovely piece of fresh wild sockeye salmon. The darker pink the salmon the better it tastes, and the better it is for your health! Wild salmon is the way to go, as it’s loaded with omegas for a healthy heart, glowing skin, lubricating joints, etc.
I used avocado oil, which is a great choice for a high heat cooking oil due to the high smoke point. Also it’s almost flavorless so you can use it for just about anything.
A little healthy dash of salt and a few shakes of the black pepper, pop it in a HOT, HOT pan with a generous amount of HOT oil, and you’re on your way. It’s that easy! It is so simple it doesn’t even really need a recipe.
And best of all Cricket got to enjoy the crispy salmon skin as a nighttime treat!
Crispy Salt and Pepper Salmon
- 1 filet of wild salmon
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado oil or other frying oil with high smoke point
- salt and pepper
- Generously salt and pepper your salmon fillet(s).
- Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat (or just below high heat, but not as low as medium-high).
- One the oil "pops" when you add a small drop of water you are ready to go!
- Add the fillet skin-side down and cook for 4-5 minutes, until mostly golden brown and crispy.
- Carefully flip the fillet and cook flesh side down for another 4-6 minuted until it's nice and crispy. (If you have a thicker fillet, increase your cooking time by a minute or two).
- Remove the fish from the pan and you may place it on a paper towel to absorb some of the excess oil.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!