This Curry Butternut Squash Soup is hearty and creamy with a touch of sweetness. It’s complex and intriguing flavors will surely delight you! It’s super healthy, easy to make, and can be made in your slow cooker! This soup makes an excellent, super healthy meal that everyone will love!
My mom started a veggie garden a few years ago that has slowly grown to take over most of her backyard. I love getting the “extras;” it’s like being a part of a CSA that I don’t have to pay for 🙂 So this year do you wanna take a guess how many butternut squashes this little backyard garden produced? 5? 10? No , try like 30! My mom had butternut squash coming out of her ears this year! So what to do with a SUPER ABUNDANCE of butternut squash- we make a heck-of-alot of Curried Butternut Squash Soup! It’s so good I actually never get tired or bored of it, really!
If you want to get fancy and impress some dinner guests you can top the soup with some creme fraise and cilantro! Fancy!
You know what else you can do with excess butternut squash? Throw some in your pup’s chow! I often make Cricket’s beef stew with butternut squash. Butternut Squash is absolutely loaded with 4x the daily recommended Vitamin A, tons of potassium (more than a banana!) and it has a healthy dose of vitamin C to boot, so go ahead you and your pup can eat your heart’s out on butternut squash!
This Curry Butternut Squash Soup is hearty and creamy with a touch of sweetness. It's complex and intriguing flavors will surely delight you! It's super healthy, easy to make, and can be made in your slow cooker! This soup makes an excellent, super healthy meal that everyone will love!
- 8 cups peeled butternut squash, cut in 1 inch cubes (1 medium squash)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup apple, peeled and cored and chopped
- 8 cups broth (chicken or veggie)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- optional :
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish and 1/4 cup creme fraise (cashew creme: blend 1/4 cup of soaked cashews with 1 teaspoon lemon juice and a dash of salt until creamy and smooth)
- In a skillet over medium high heat sauté onion, cumin, and curry powder in olive oil until soft and fragrant.
- In the pressure cooker or slower cooker add the sautéed onion spice mixture, broth, coconut sugar, salt, pepper, cubed squash, and chopped apple.
- If using the pressure cooker, select the soup button, which should be high pressure setting for 15 minutes.
- If using the slower cooker, set it to high for 2 hours, then reduce to low for 2 additional hours, or set to low and let it cook all day (6+ hours).
- Once the soup is finished cooking you can use a hand blender to puree the soup until desired constancy is reached.
- Top with cilantro, or other another herb, and drops of creme fraise.