When you want something LIGHT, SWEET, and COLD on a hot summer day, frozen grapes are a super healthy snack to pop poolside while soaking up the sun! Sure you can just throw some grapes in the freezer, but why not dress them up a little, right? A little coconut sugar and chocolate drizzle turns a healthy snack into a no-guilt dessert and you feel fancy eating something so delicate and beautiful!
Red grapes also contain resveratrol, which you make have heard about before! Resveratrol in the phytonutrient present in wine, and it also is in the skins of red grapes! Resveratrol supports heart health and promotes longevity! Grapes also contain antioxidants called polyphenols that aid in preventing cancer, and the flavonoid quercetin that decreases inflammation. In addition, grapes are low calorie at only 104 calories per cup, and high in water content to help keep you hydrated while you’re sweating it out in the sun!
Frosted Grapes with Chocolate Drizzle
- 1 bunch of red grapes rinsed
- 1-2 tablespoons of coconut sugar or granular sugar alternative
- 2 tablespoons of melted dark chocolate you can also melt some coconut oil, mix with cocoa powder and sweeten with stevia for a lower sugar option
- Rinse the grapes, place on a paper towel and dry partially. (leave some moisture for the sugar to stick)
- Place the grapes in a large freezer ziplock bag and pour in the sugar and give it a shake to coat the grapes.
- Put the bag of grapes in the freezer for a few hours or overnight. (They can stay in the freezer for several days and still taste great.)
- When you are ready to eat them, remove from them from freezer, melt chocolate, and drizzle it on top of the sugared grapes. Enjoy immediately!
(Sources: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=40, http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/271156.php)
Get more info on the healthy benefits of grapes here!