This Pumpkin Spice Latte Parfait is the perfect light and healthy fall sweet treat, and this recipe includes gluten free and vegan recipe options!
By the time September rolls around I tend to get a little bit glum, as the days get shorter and the mornings become cool and crisp. It’s not that I don’t like fall as a season, but it marks the end of summer, the vibrant and energetic season filled with sun-kissed beach vacation days, sweet and cool ice cream and popsicles, sprinklers, and long outdoor adventures.
I do love the kaleidoscope of colors that adorn the trees in autumn, picking crisp fresh apples (and making apple crisp!), and trading my flip flops for boots.
Cricket loves the fall, in fact it is her favorite season. Can you guess why? DEER!Her favorite fall pastime is chasing deer. Not that I condone this thrill seeking behavior AT ALL—I DO NOT! But she can’t be controlled when her hunting dog instincts kick in, and she’s running down a scent. Not to worry, she’s not that good and hence has never caught anything. Nope nothing! Thrill of the chase, that’s all!
The other awesome part of fall is the return of the Pumpkin Spice Latte! I don’t drink coffee as much as I used to, but if I’m going to get my caffeine fix this is my preferred way, come fall. Pumpkin is the ultimate flavor to celebrate fall, and the upcoming holiday season. Spiced pumpkin, blended with a robust dark brew, and topped with cream and caramel is such an extraordinary flavor combination that reminds me of Thanksgiving pumpkin pie in a drinkable form.
I also love easy layered desserts that are light, and good for you too. So to celebrate fall I took my favorite drink and made it an edible dessert. This scrumptious sweet parfait is made up of layers of spiced cookie crumble, pumpkin spice latte pudding, and light and fluffy whip topping, and drizzled with caramel. I even added in some Pumpkin Spice M&M’s, not required, but a festive addition for sure (and an excuse to buy the giant size bag and eat them all!)
So here is the quick and easy recipe to get your pumpkin spice latte fix for the season, just in edible form!
This Pumpkin Spice Latte Parfait is the perfect light fall treat, with gluten free and vegan option too!
- 1 package of vanilla instant pudding (recipe for the pudding mix: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/diy-homemade-instant-vanilla-pudding-mix/)
- ¼ cup of strong cold brew coffee concentrate (I used Trader Joe's or make your own-http://www.kitchentreaty.com/how-to-make-cold-brewed-iced-coffee-concentrate/)
- 2 ½ cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin
- 1/4-1/2 (according to taste) teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 container of Truwhip (or Coolwhip or Coconut Cream Whip)
- 8 graham crackers or Speculoos Cookies, crushed (or gluten free and/or vegan (recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2013/11/05/gluten-free-and-vegan-graham-crackers/) graham crackers)
- 4 tablespoons of Healthy Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Optional: Pumpkin Spice M&M’s (not vegan)
- Make the instant pudding according to the directions, except use 1/4 cup of the coffee concentrate, and the remainder of the liquid required use your milk or choice such as almond milk.
- Mix in the canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice into the pudding mixture, mix until smooth.
- Let the pudding set in the refrigerator for the required time.
- Make the Healthy Caramel Sauce
- Next assemble the parfaits by sprinkling crushed cookie on the bottom, them adding a layer of pudding, then a layer of whip topping, alternating until your parfait glass is filled.
- Top with caramel drizzle and optional M&M's.