This Red Velvet Hot Chocolate is amazingly rich, silky, and decadent. It’s the perfect beverage to warm you up on a cold winter’s night! Best part about it is that it tastes like it must be bad for you, but it’s not. It’s dairy-free, gluten-free and paleo, really!
I love dessert of all kinds, especially chocolate! I am definitely a chocoholic, are you? I especially like desserts you can drink, like this Red Velvet Hot Chocolate. Drinkable desserts give you an excuse to enjoy two dessert at once, one you drink AND one you eat. Haha! You gotta have a little somethin’ else to go along with hot chocolate, like my Marshmallow Stuffed Chocolate Covered Strawberry Hearts! This pair makes the perfect, easy, breathtakingly beautiful, and SECRETLY healthy Valentine’s Day dessert pairing!
So I got a little bit creative in the making of this drinkable dessert. I wanted it to be red, and chocolatey, but Houston we have a PROBLEM! The chocolate always masked the vibrant red hue and then it no longer was a “Red Velvet” Hot Chocolate. 🙁 So here’s what I did… I decided to pour the chocolate sauce into the bottom of the glass and then pour the velvety, silky, rich and RED concoction on top. It made a beautiful layered beverage. You MUST have glass coffee mugs to show this beauty off.
Give it a stir and drink! YUM!
You can also get fancy and dip the rim of the glass into the chocolate sauce and dust some red and pink sprinkles if you eat that kinda thing 😉 For those of you who don’t do sprinkles, you can add some fine chopped chocolate slivers or coconut shreds (blended to be extra fine) for a fancy touch.
So while I was making this delicious beverage I caught something else in my eye that was red and I wanted to share the beauty with you….
Gorgeous, huh? A little bit of spring in my kitchen on a cold winter’s day.
This Red Velvet Hot Chocolate. A good book. These gorgeous tulips. Flickering candles. Sounds good to me!
And don’t forget your pup this Valentine’s Day- treat them too with these easy Heart Shaped Cookies!
This Red Velvet Hot Chocolate is amazingly rich, silky, and decadent. It's the perfect beverage to warm you up on a cold winter's night! Best part about it is even though it tastes like it must be bad for you, it's not. It's dairy-free, gluten-free and paleo, really!
- 1 1/2 cups cashew milk or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4-5 drops of India Tree Natural Food Coloring (or here's a few recipes to make your own natural coloring
- Chocolate Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup (depending on how sweet you want it)
- Optional: coconut whip cream and sprinkles/shaved chocolate or coconut flakes on top
- To make the chocolate sauce:
- Over medium heat, combine the coconut oil, cocoa and maple syrup in a saucepan, and mix until smooth.
- Dip the rim of the glass into the chocolate sauce, then pour the remaining sauce into the bottom of the glass mug.
- Rinse out the sauce pan, then over medium heat combine and mix the cashew/almond milk, coconut sugar and red coloring.
- Once it's hot remove from the heat and mix in the vanilla.
- Pour it carefully into the glass mug, letting it run down the inside of the glass so it rests on top of the chocolate sauce, creating the layer effect.
- Top with coconut whip cream and sprinkles or alternative.