Healthy, packed with protein and tons of flavor, these Southwest Scramble Lettuce Wraps will get your day off to a great start! and you can whip them up in under 10 minutes! am a big fan of lettuce wraps- it’s like eating a taco but without the carbs. Do you love breakfast tacos? I certainly do- having lived in the breakfast taco capital of the world- Austin, TX! I’ve tried all types- chorizo, eggs and cheese, avocado and black bean, steak and eggs, and on and on. I always top them off generously with hot sauce and salsa , so much that I would sometimes turn bright red! I must confess I am officially addicted to sriracha!
I wanted to make a healthy alternative to the breakfast taco- so I removed the tortilla and added a fresh crispy romaine lettuce leaf! These lettuce wraps are so flavorful they don’t need any cheese but you are more than welcome to toss some shredded cheddar or monterey in there if you wish. Nothing is off limits:)
Another added bonus- you can whip these up in under 10 minutes, making them perfect for a busy weekday morning, or weekend. It is so important to have a healthy, well balanced breakfast with plenty of protein so you fire up your metabolism for the day. When you eat a high protein breakfast, you will eat less throughout the day and have more energy to power through at work or chasing after your wild and crazy little ones! That is why breakfast is truly the most important meal of the day!
I use palm fruit oil in my skillet when I cook eggs for its health benefits (antioxidant rich, vitamin E..) and high smoke point. For more info on palm oil, and why I use it click HERE.
If you’d like to order organic red palm oil, click HERE, to shop my pantry!
Healthy, gluten free and Paleo, these easy and quick Southwest Scramble Lettuce Wraps are stuffed with scrambled eggs, black beans, peppers and onions, and topped with hot sauce and fresh cilantro!
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ cup red and green peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ tablespoon of palm oil
- ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves
- dash salt and pepper
- dash cumin (optional)
- 1/4 cup avocado, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sriracha or hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Melt oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions and peppers and stir for a few minutes until softened.
- Scramble the eggs in a bowl with a dash of salt and pepper, you can also add dash of cumin.
- Pour the eggs in the skillet and scramble them with the onions and peppers.
- Once the eggs are almost fully cooked, add the beans, and stir until the eggs are cooked completely. then remove from heat.
- Lay the lettuce leave facing up to make a “bowl”, add scramble mixture, top with avocado, hot sauce and cilantro and serve!