I have a confession to make…… I sometimes go to that place, you know, the one with the Golden Arches….. It’s only for breakfast (unless I have a french fry craving!) and I always order an egg mcmuffin and a hash brown. Then what I do next may shock some of you- I put the hash brown IN my egg sandwich! If you haven’t discovered the amazingness of hashbrowns in your eggs you are missing out!
This breakfast skillet is a healthy take off from the hashbrown egg sandwich. There is no cheese, no super greasy fried white potato hashbrown, and no bread. This skillet is loaded with sweet potato fries, eggs, avocado mash and hot sauce. It’s super easy to make too!
I use palm oil to fry up my eggs often. I love the taste, and it has a higher smoke point than many other oils, as well as having many healthy attributes. You can read more about palm oil HERE.
Sweet Potato Fry Breakfast Skillet with Avocado Mash
- 2 eggs I use pasture-raised organic eggs- taste the best and the best for you!
- 6 or more sweet potato fries pre-made, or see below
- 1 tablespoon palm oil or olive oil or butter
- ½ avocado
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper
- ½ tablespoon hot sauce
- Heat your cast iron skillet (I have a personal-sized one that works perfect, but a large one is fine too) over medium heat.
- Add the palm oil and distribute it evenly over the pan.
- Place your sweet potato fries in the skillet (I just use frozen organic sweet potato fries, but you can just cut up a sweet potato, add a little oil and salt and pepper to make your own- just make sure they get crispy before you crack the eggs.)
- Place foil over the top of the skillet to trap some heat and flip the fries occasionally. You may need to increase the heat once they are soft to get them to crisp.
- Once they are crispy and brown on the edges crack the eggs over top of the fries and place the foil (or lid) back on top to make sure the top of the eggs cook as well.
- Once they are done to your liking, remove from heat.
- Mash the avocado and chopped cilantro with a fork and add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Top the egg skillet with avocado mash and hot sauce.