Delicious! It is simply summed up in one single word! My all time favorite Tempeh Grilled Cheese will win over even the pickiest, meat-only eaters, I promise! For those of you who haven’t tried tempeh before, you are seriously missing out. I occasionally will eat tofu, and enjoy it depending on how it prepared, but its cousin tempeh, is the real winner in my book for SO MANY reasons. As far as taste and texture, it is much more firm and “meatier” than tofu, and all by itself it doesn’t have much more than a subtle nutty taste, therefore it takes on marinades and spices extremely well. You can make it taste like almost anything you’d wish! Tempeh also is packed with protein- 31 grams per cup! For more info on tempeh click HERE.
I always have some tempeh chilling in a simple marinate in the fridge. It’s ready to go whenever I need it- whether it be used to “beef up” a gooey grilled cheese, a tempeh burger, in a stir fry, or on top of a salad. This tempeh grilled cheese sandwich is the shining star of vegetarian grilled cheeses, leaving you feeling full and satisfied, with a powerful protein punch! Go ahead and get creative with your favorite toppings, and you can go light on the cheese, because it already has so much flavor!
Tempeh & Avocado Grilled Cheese
- 1 package of tempeh
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of red pepper
- dash of salt and pepper
For the Grilled Cheese:
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices of gluten-free bread of choice
- 4 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese (or more if you’d like) or vegan cheese shreds
- ¼ avocado sliced
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced
- 4 slices of tomatoes
- 2 large green lettuce leaves
- ½ tablespoon sriracha
- Cut tempeh into 1” strip and place in a ziplock bag with marinade ingredients, and leave in a fridge for a few hours.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Place the tempeh and red onions in the pan.
- Saute until onions are soft both sides of the tempeh are golden brown.
- Remove tempeh and onions from the pan and set aside.
- Place 2 pieces of bread in the pan, once warm and slightly brown, flip them over.
- Top each slice with 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese each.
- Place tempeh and onions on top of the cheese on one slice.
- If the cheese isn’t melted you can cover the the pan with a cover or tin foil for a minute.
- Top the other side with sliced avocado lettuce and tomato, sriracha sauce, place both sides together, and enjoy!