These Ultimate Nachos are loaded with spicy nacho cheese, flavorful and fresh tomatillo-avocado salsa, and tangy sour cream, on top of yuca crips. Sinfully delicious, these nachos are secretly healthy, paleo, grain free and dairy free!
I’ve always had a deep love for “junk” food. Crispy fried wings, fudgey brownies, salty french fries, rich and creamy ice cream, anything with chocolate, creamy dips, and nachos! What are some of your favorite junk foods??
These are some of my favorite things to indulge on, and if you frequent my blog, you know that most of my recipes are “junk” food that’s had a makeover. A healthy makeover! They don’t lack in taste and indulgence- they deliver! Most importantly of all they are made with clean healthy whole food ingredient, are gluten and grain-free, and most are dairy-free as well.
These nachos are everything you are looking for…. crispy salty chips that are piled high with nacho cheese, sour cream, and fresh tangy salsa. You can even add on some chili too if you are looking for a meal- see my Chipotle Bison Chili, it would make an awesome addition to these nachos.
And this nacho cheese is amazing (and happens to be dairy-free- No way?… YES WAY!) I experimented with so many dairy-free cheeses, and I actually do eat some pasture-raised dairy products- like butter and some cheese. (You can read more about the benefits of pasture-raised dairy HERE.)
I wanted to create a dairy-free alternative that is good for you, easy to make, and tastes like the REAL DEAL nacho cheese. This nacho cheese has a secret ingredient that makes it extra creamy- butternut squash! I didn’t want the cheese to be made of solely cashew cream so I lightened it up and added body, flavor and color with the butternut squash. I also added some chipotle chilis for a nice smokey spiciness.
The salsa provides a wonderful fresh tangy flavor, and it’s a bit different from the norm. Its made with tomatillos, avocado, lime juice and cilantro, and its simply amazing. You’ll want to put it on everything!
Is your mouth watering yet? You guys are going to love these I promise!
These Ultimate Nachos are loaded with spicy nacho cheese, flavorful and fresh tomatillo avocado salsa, and tangy sour cream, on top of yuca crips. Deliciously sinful, these nachos are secretly healthy, paleo, grain free and dairy free!
- YUCA CRISPS:
- I yuca (cassava root)
- 2 tablespoons oil of choice (olive oil, ghee, coconut, etc)
- NACHO CHEESE SAUCE:
- ¾ cup soaked raw cashews (soak for at least 4 hours and drain)
- ¾ cup cooked and mashed butternut squash
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion (about ½ cup), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 small red onion, or 1/2 of a large one, finely chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 avocado, chopped into 1/2" cubes
- 6 tomatillos, chopped(peel off papery skin and wash coating off, leaving you will something that resembles a small green tomato.)
- 1 red or orange sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon extra vigin olive oil
- SOUR CREAM:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours and drained
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- To MAKE THE YUCA CRISPS:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Peel the yuca, removing all the brown coating on the exterior.
- Cut the yuca into 1/8" rounds.
- Coat the yuca rounds with oil/ghee and sprinkle with salt.
- Place on a cookie sheet and roast for about 20 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Remove, flip the rounds, and roast again until the other side is golden brown as well and crisps are crunchy.
- The crisps are best when served immediately or shortly after they are prepared.
- TO MAKE THE NACHO CHEESE:
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 2 hours and then drain.
- In a sauce pan saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until slightly golden.
- Place the soaked cashews, pureed butternut squash and water into a high speed blender, and blend on high until creamy.
- Add the sauteed onion, garlic, salt, paprika, chili powder and nutritional yeast and blend until smooth.
- TO MAKE THE SALSA:
- Combine all the ingredients- red onion, habanero pepper, garlic, avocado, tomatillo, sweet pepper, salt, lime juice, orange juice and olive oil and mix.
- Faxlor is best of you let it sit for a 1/2 hour.
- TO MAKE THE SOUR CREAM:
- In a high speed blender combine the soaked cashews, 1/4 cup water, salt, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice and blend on high.
- Slowly add remaining water, and stop to scrape down the sides, until desired consistency is reached.