This fresh and summery salad is bursting with Italian flavor.
Do you grow tomatoes in the summer?
Or do you buy local tomatoes from the farmers market or veggie stand?
If so, than you know how amazing a fresh, juicy and sweet a tomato can be!
There is nothing that compares to the taste of summer tomatoes, sprinkled with a dash of salt, some fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil! Am I right?
If you love fresh Italian flavors, like me, than you will love this recipe for sure! The ripe summer tomatoes, fragrant basil, and red peppers offer up a wonderful bouquet of sweet fresh flavor that you will deeply enjoy!
Besides having amazing flavor, this salad is highly nutritious and well balanced. The beans and quinoa provide a nice energy boost by supplying protein, which will leave you feeling comfortably full and satisfied! The tomatoes are a excellent source of vitamin C, biotin, vitamin K, phytonutrients and lycopene. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant that plays an important role in bone health, and the tomatoes’ phytonutrients support a healthy heart (they have been shown to have anti-aggregation properties (prevents clumping of blood)).
Another awesome thing about this salad is how easy it is to make! You can have it ready in under 15 minutes. Just cook up some quinoa, open a can of white beans, chop up the veggies, and top it all off with olive oil and a drizzle of balsamic reduction! Ready to try some?
Did I mention it’s beautiful to look at too? So colorful! Enjoy 🙂
Quinoa and white bean salad with tomatoes and basil.
- 1 cup quinoa (makes 2.5 cups cooked) (Paleo- can sub for 1 cup cauliflower "rice")
- 1 can white beans (omit for paleo)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup sweet red pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped fine
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoons of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic reduction
- Cook the quinoa according to directions and place in a large bowl.
- Mix in the drained and rinsed white beans, tomatoes, red pepper, red onion, and basil.
- In a small blender combine the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle dressing onto the salad and mix.
- Place the salad into the serving bowl or dish and drizzle balsamic reduction on top, and garnish with extra basil.